Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Essence of a "Logo"

     While reading a book about designing identity, I came across a section written by Paul Rand about what a logo truly is. By understanding the essence of a logo, one should be able to create more effective logo designs.
     After reading, I realized that I had confused a logo for an advertisement. I thought they were used as a simple image to catch ones eye. Rather they are signatures, much like my own when I sign my name. They do not have to be attractive nor do they have to directly show the content or the person or group they are representing. They are simply a visual name or fingerprint. In that light, I believe a logo to be a functional tool, rather than an aesthetic addition to a companies title. They should be designed with function in mind and nothing more.

According to Paul Rand:


A logo:
-is a flag.
-does not sell, it identifies.
-is usually not a description of a business.
-derives its meaning from the quality of the business, not the other way around.
-is less important than the product it signifies.

Effectiveness of a logo depends on:
-Distinctiveness
-Visibility
-Usability
-Universality
-Durability
-Timelessness

Lastly I love this quote: "If in the business of communication "image is king", the essence of this image, the logo, is a jewel in its crown." - Paul Rand.

No comments:

Post a Comment