Monday, January 24, 2011

5 Worst Logos- 3200 HW

I'm sure there are logos I like less in the world but I compiled a few that I have had issues with in the past.

1> Georgia Power

My problem is with the graphic. I never knew what it was. Is it an awkward lightning bolt or an angular foot? What does it have to do with Georgia? Is it a backwards G maybe? If so its not a very good one in my opinion. I think it should be updated to communicate dependability of keeping Georgians with electricity. Maybe even include an indication of becoming more green for the future. But alas, not in this southern state I call home.

2> General Electric
It was a good logo for its time and it has lasted a very long time but I think its just outdated. No one in corporate uses that kind of font anymore. It looks very circa 50s to me. I think the company is well known enough for an acceptable change of font. Something modern for a new age of energy development.

3> Little Caesers


Once again, out of date. I think the font still works but the character and his border seem very 90s. He looks like clip art. Like a franchise that was branded by Joe Schmo Designs Co. down the street. It's time to render the character better and do something more creative with the border besides that thin black line.

4> AIGA


I might be getting ahead of myself as a designer in training challenging Paul Rands own handy work and the logo of one of the most important design organizations in the country if not world but I am. My issue with it is, once again, the font. It would be a good logo for a corporate company that does something no one is really interested in until they need it but as the image that represents the best and most creative of graphic arts, it is way too conservative. Also the logo does nothing to help communicate what the letters stand for. I find it hard to remember because they are all exactly the same. Maybe some contrast or doing something more creative with the letters would do wonders for showing the masses of creativity the org. represents. I am a fan of how the branding makes use of the solid perfect square though. My only gripe is with the boring letters.

5 > Life's Good


Once again, a common issue of mine. I don't know what the logo is. I see the L and the G very clear but that might be a little redundant with the LG text right next to it. One or the other is unnecessary. I think it might be an abstracted smiley face or just a mouth-less face. Either way, its doesn't do a good job of exposing that or making me feel that life is good. In fact I don't get much of anything from this logo. And the dot in the circle is memorable I must admit but for years I wondered why it was there rather than receiving some information about the company from it. Or any purpose to it at all besides a feeble attempt at an unrecognizable face.

All of these logos are of a certain standard. They are all known all over the country and have stood the test of time. However I would like to see them improve, update and become amazing. 

-Kwame Amuleru

No comments:

Post a Comment